Every household should pack a Go Bag — a collection of items you may need in the event of an evacuation. A Go Bag should be packed in a sturdy, easy-to-carry container such as a backpack or suitcase on wheels. A Go Bag should be easily accessible if you have to leave your home in a hurry. Make sure it is ready to go at all times of the year.
Copies of your important documents in a waterproof and portable container (insurance cards, photo IDs, proof of address, etc.)
- Extra set of car and house keys
- Credit and ATM cards and cash, especially in small denominations. We recommend you keep at least $50-$100 on hand.
- Bottled water and non-perishable food such as energy or granola bars
- Battery-operated AM/FM radio and extra batteries
- Keep a list of the medications each member of your household takes, why they take them, and their dosages. Medication information and other essential personal items. If you store extra medication in your Go Bag, be sure to refill it before it expires.
- First-aid kit
- Contact and meeting place information for your household, and a small regional map
- Child care supplies or other special care items