Hours accepting applications: 8:00am to 4:30pm
Georgia Code 16-11-129 (Search for 16-11-129)
What to Bring
- Georgia driver’s license, Georgia State ID card, or voter’s registration card with current address; Foreign nationals must have INS resident card. If you are a naturalized US citizen, you should bring your naturalization papers.
- Payment – $80 (new applications); $36 (renewals) (payable by cash, check, money order and credit/debit cards).
- Fingerprint and applications are accepted Monday-Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Licensing exceptions. No license shall be granted to:
- Any person under 21 years of age (Age if under 21 proof of completed basic training or honorable discharge is required);
- Any person who is a fugitive from justice or against whom proceedings are pending for any felony, forcible misdemeanor, or violation of Code Section 16-11-126, 16-11-127, or 16-11-128 until such time as the proceedings are adjudicated;
- Any person who has been convicted of a felony by a court of this state or any other state; by a court of the United States including its territories, possessions, and dominions; or by a court of any foreign nation and has not been pardoned for such felony by the President of the United States, the State Board of Pardons and Paroles, or the person or agency empowered to grant pardons under the constitution or laws of such state or nation or any person who has been convicted of a forcible misdemeanor and has not been free of all restraint or supervision in connection therewith for at least five years or any person who has been convicted of a violation of Code Section 16-11-126, 16-11-127, or 16-11-128 and has not been free of all restraint or supervision in connection therewith for at least three years, immediately preceding the date of the application;
- Any individual who has been hospitalized as an inpatient in any mental hospital or alcohol or drug treatment center within five years of the date of his or her application. The probate judge may require any applicant to sign a waiver authorizing any mental hospital or treatment center to inform the judge whether or not the applicant has been an inpatient in any such facility in the last five years and authorizing the superintendent of such facility to make to the judge a recommendation regarding whether a license to carry a pistol or revolver should be issued. When such a waiver is required by the probate judge, the applicant shall pay to the probate judge a fee of $3.00 for reimbursement of the cost of making such a report by the mental health hospital, alcohol or drug treatment center, or the Department of Human Resources, which the probate judge shall remit to the hospital, center, or department. The judge shall keep any such hospitalization or treatment information confidential. It shall be at the discretion of the probate judge, considering the circumstances surrounding the hospitalization and the recommendation of the superintendent of the hospital or treatment center where the individual was a patient, to issue the license; or
(A) Any person, the provisions of paragraph (3) of this subsection notwithstanding, who has been convicted of an offense arising out of the unlawful manufacture, distribution, possession, or use of a controlled substance or other dangerous drug.
(B) As used in this paragraph, the term:
(i) ‘Controlled substance’ means any drug, substance, or immediate precursor included in the definition of controlled substances in paragraph (4) of Code Section 16-13-21.
(ii) ‘Convicted’ means a plea of guilty, a finding of guilt by a court of competent jurisdiction, the acceptance of a plea of nolo contendere, or the affording of first offender treatment by a court of competent jurisdiction irrespective of the pendency or availability of an appeal or an application for collateral relief.
(iii) ‘Dangerous drug’ means any drug defined as such in Code Section 16-13-71.
Adequate time to complete application and be fingerprinted. Additional time will be required if there are complications submitting fingerprints or if additional information is found to be required.
Receipt of License
License will be mailed to the applicant in approximately 6 to 8 weeks.
Firearms License Replacement cost is $6.00 (applicant must present a police report & proper photo ID)